Friday 15 February 2013

Pulau Burung and Bryam Estate

After eating our lunch, we decided to go for a spin around Nibong Tebal town area. The first place that came to mind was Pulau Burung (literal translation: Birds' Island) which was a landfill. We knew the sight would be ugly but we were just too curious.
Byram estate
A small stream in the middle of the estate
First, we needed to drive past Byram Estate. It was a straight road with oil palms on both sides of the roads with some houses and a school.
Byram estate
Beautiful reflection in the stream
Yes, we were lucky to catch a glimpse of a blue bird, which I think was a kingfisher.
Byram estate
A kingfisher, I presume
Along the road, we met a herd of cows walking in the middle of the road. We had to slow down and hopefully, they did not run amok and attack our car. That was when I got a close-up shot of a cow.
Byram estate
A cow crossing the road
We heard of fish farms around here but we did not see any signboard showing any farms around. Instead, we spotted a chicken farm along the main road. 
Byram estate
A chicken farm
Byram estate
Hens cackling in the farm
As we drove, we saw a signboard showing Pulau Burung. We just needed to drive till the end of the road and there was the landfill.
Pulau Burung
Signboard to Pulau Burung
It was a protected property of the government. So, unauthorized people were not allowed. We only took some photographs at the entrance. 
Pulau Burung
The entrance of the landfill
Pulau Burung
This is a government property
As we wound down the car window, we could smell the foul smell of rubbish. I really wondered how the workers managed to put up with the smell every day. 
Pulau Burung
A peek into the landfill
Pulau Burung
A rubbish truck driving into the property
Pulau Burung
Some cows grazing outside the landfill
After looking at this unsightly sight, I really did some soul searching and began to play my part for a greener Penang (as championed by the current government). Yes, I am now using my tiffin carrier when I ask for a take-away of my food. I am also segregating my rubbish and take them to the recycle centre. Writing about Pulau Burung landfill in this blog is also my way of helping for a greener earth. I hope that after reading this, you will also play your part too. 

Next post... Changkat Village.

No comments:

Post a Comment